The holiday break is always productive for me, and this year was no exception:
- Added a new trigger-based event system to the overworld
- Added basic actions for playing sounds, animations and displaying messages
- Added basic session service, so that entities can store some state information between play sessions
- Updated the treasure chest script – it now plays sound and animates as it opens
- Lots of little bits of internal code re-shuffling to try and make things easier to manage
So far I’m quite pleased with how things are going. The whole kernel-based system has really helped, and coupled with the entity system approach I’m finding it easier to add the basic game functionality. It’s still tricky to add some of the more complex stuff, such as shops and cut-scenes, but overall it’s starting to look a little more like a game each time I work on it.